Saturday, January 31, 2009

Remembering Shea - all together now - part 2

Updated 9:04pm with photos and another item

While I'm working on organizing my photos and videos (a massive 219 photos and 7 videos taken today) into small/manageable chunks and posts, I do want to point out a few things that I noticed today.

I get the feeling that the crowd today was a group who would rather watch a game from Shea Stadium than Citi Field.

A lot of people seem to think that the name on Citi Field really may not be there on Opening Day. One of the reporters asked me more about Citi Field than Shea Stadium for some reason.

When specifically asked, the few people I asked did not like the names "Promenade" and "Excelsior" of the levels at Citi Field.

People brought their kids there, in the freezing cold. I saw one dog who was named for Mike Piazza (MikeP I think was the name), and saw photos of another dog named Shea (not Chipper Jones's kid either).

People wanted to take pictures and just talk. I think that was the intent.


I did get a few tidbits from people (and please correct me if I'm wrong)
  1. The concrete and steel removed from the Shea Stadium structure must be salvagable, with the concrete actually to be recycled into the pavement for the parking lot replacing Shea. Take a minute and process that concept.
  2. The outline of the old traffic circle outside the fence of Gate A is still visible in the new sidewalks, including what looks like a gateway to the new ballpark's Left Field corner.

  3. There will be a ticket office for Citi Field on 126th Street, to the left of (right field side of) the "main" outfield entrance (I noticed the signs when I was leaving)

  4. I also heard that the highway signs are going to be changed to reflect the new ballpark.



Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Final thought | Recaps in the Media | Recaps in other Mets blogs | All together now

1 comment:

  1. haha I wonder where those little "nuggets" of info came from?!

    ReplyDelete